Debian-Installer beta 2 released
January 14th, 2004
The Debian-Installer team is glad to announce the second beta release of the Debian sarge installer for the i386, powerpc, and ia64 architectures. Besides the addition of the ia64 architecture, new features in this release include:
- An improved and streamlined installation process.
- Complete or near-complete translations to many languages (Portuguese, Dutch, Japanese, Italian, Hungarian, French, Spanish, Greek, Danish, Czech, Slovak, Norwegian, Lithuanian, German, Bulgarian, Chinese).
- Support for installation from USB mass storage (USB keychain, etc).
- Support for systems with only 32 MB of memory (i386 only).
This release fixes all of the posted errata in beta 1 of the Debian-Installer, and many other bugs besides. It still has rough edges and known bugs, but we anticipate that most users will find it a great improvement from past Debian installs. Please send us a report of how your installation goes, so we can strive to make it even better.
How to try out the beta:
- Download one of the available CD or other images from the d-i website.
- Read the INSTALLATION HOWTO and install on whatever hardware you can. All testing is valuable, but unusual hardware setups are of course more likely to trigger unknown bugs. Also see the errata for known bugs and workarounds.
- File an install report as a bug against the pseudo-package 'installation-reports' in the BTS. Your install report should say whether the install was successful or not, what problems you encountered during the installation, etc.
If your installation was successful, there will be a template for install
/root/install-report.template – this template is
also available on the
web. Please use this template when filing install reports.
Good luck with testing Debian-Installer!