Debian-Installer beta 4 released for 10 architectures
April 30th, 2004
The Debian-Installer team announces the fourth beta release of the Debian sarge installer. Notable improvements in this release include:
- Support for the arm, hppa, mipsel, and mips architectures, bringing the number of supported architectures to 10.
- Experimental support for the 2.6 kernel, on i386 only. The 2.4 kernel remains the default and recommended kernel for most hardware.
- Detection of existing operating systems. The following operating systems can be detected and will be added to the boot menu of the installed system: Windows, Mac OS, Linux, GNU Hurd, DOS
- Translated into 35 languages, including new translations to Indonesian, Basque, Galician, Romanian and Welsh.
- Many bug fixes and user interface improvements.
- Fixes for most of the listed errata for beta 3 of the installer.
- A new boot logo by Alessandro Polverini and Andrea Mottola.
We're confident that this is our best release ever, so give it a try, install Debian today, and don't forget to file an installation report so we can continue to make the installer even better. Links to bootable images and documentation are on our web site.