Debian-Installer etch beta 1
November 11th, 2005
The Debian Installer team is proud to announce the first beta release of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Etch.
Improvements in this release of the installer include:
- Debian testing (etch) is now installed by default, instead of sarge, and features several months of development and updates.
- This new version of the installer uses and installs the 2.6.12 kernel, instead of the 2.6.8 kernel used in the sarge release.
- 2.6 is now the default kernel for i386 and sparc (and remains the default kernel for powerpc, amd64, ia64 and hppa). Boot with "install24" to install using the 2.4 kernel.
- The installer supports a rescue mode for recovering broken systems. Boot with "rescue".
- An alpha release of a graphical version of the installer is available for the i386, amd64, and powerpc architectures.
- Improved locale selection, timezone and clock setup, and preseeding.
- Automatic laptop detection and installation of a laptop task.
- Secure apt is used to cryptographically verify downloaded packages.
- Improved log file management and bug reporting.
- Automatically installs acpid if the hardware supports it.
- Added the following languages: Malagasy, Macedonian, Tagalog, Belarusian, Esperanto, Wolof, Xhosa, Estonian and Kurdish
This release no longer supports the following:
- sparc32: Dropped support for installations using 2.6 kernel.
- s390: This architecture is not supported by this installer release. We hope to support it again in the next release.
- See the errata for other known issues and workarounds.
Installation CDs, other media, and everything else you'll need are available from our web site.