Debian Installer lenny release candidate 1
November 12th, 2008
The Debian Installer team is proud to announce the first release candidate of the installer for Debian GNU/Linux Lenny.
Improvements in this release of the installer
- Improved support for Live-CD installation media (much faster and more reliable than earlier releases);
- Support for some NAS devices based on Marvell's ARM-compatible Orion chip:
- QNAP TS-109/TS-209 and TS-409;
- HP Media Vault mv2120;
- Buffalo Kurobox Pro;
- Installer images for Netwinder have been added again;
- Installer images for i386 Xen guests
- Support for hardware speech synthesis (speakup) has been added;
- Upgrade of packages early in pkgsel, for example to get available security updates for base system packages;
- Support for loading firmware from (removable) media during the installation;
- i386/amd64: support for installing to and loading firmware from MMC/SD cards;
- New translations: Welsh, Irish, Northern Sami, Serbian (Amharic and Marathi were added in beta releases).
Known issues in this release
- i386: for this release, installation from floppy disk is not supported;
- PowerPC: the graphical installer should work on almost all systems with ATI graphics cards, but probably not others;
- touchpads should work with the graphical installer, but support may be suboptimal - if you experience problems, you should use an external mouse instead.
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
We do need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it.
Installation CDs and DVDs, other media, errata, and everything else you'll need are available from the Debian Installer web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.