Debian Installer 7.0 Beta3 release
October 18th, 2012
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the third beta release of the installer for Debian 7.0
- Full IPv6 support during the installation process.
- UEFI support (see
- Most of GNOME fits onto CD#1 again (network-less installation).
- LXDE and Xfce now live on separate images.
Improvements in this release of the installer
- Speech synthesis: add support for more languages (#684473).
- GNU/kFreeBSD: Fix broken kfreebsd-9 CD graphical install menu entry (#686858).
- GNU/kFreeBSD: Tweak memory settings to fix the graphical install (#686861).
- Artwork: Update to use the official Debian logo, which has a suitable license now.
- Install wheezy by default instead of sid on armhf and s390x.
- apt-cdrom: Fix download of all description translations (#678227).
- apt-cdrom: Fix issues with multi-arch CD-ROMs.
- busybox: Include ping and ping6.
- cdebconf: Enumerate choices horizontally for speech synthesis (#682538).
- efi-reader: Build on amd64 and i386.
- fonts-samyak: Fix misrendered spaces for several Indian languages (#687176).
- isc-dhcp: Fix several security issues (#686174).
- libdebian-installer: Add
efias a subarchitecture for amd64 and i386.
- localechooser: Improve charset support for bare Linux console and for network-console installations (#677931).
- localechooser: Stop ignoring non-ASCII country names (#687249).
- lowmem: Update limits.
- netcfg: Add full IPv6 support.
- netcfg: Map localhost to ::1 as well as 127.0.0.1 (#686970).
Hardware support changes
- Add EFI support for 64-bit PCs (amd64), allowing installation in EFI mode instead of using the legacy BIOS. This does not include any support for UEFI Secure Boot — that will come later.
- 73 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 57 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.