Re: Is this a bug in gpg, mutt, or what?

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:16:26PM +0100, Pedro Guerreiro wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 09:21:59PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 01:47:37AM +0100, Pedro Guerreiro wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > When reading GPG signed mail, _sometimes_ mutt frezes when "Invoking PGP..."
> > > and when I stop it with ^C, gives me something like this:
> >
> > i have had this problem too, usually it happens when i use control C
> > when mutt is trying to verify and get a key for someone who insists on
> > using RSA keys (i don't want to use the non-free rsa modules) it seems
> > that gpg does not remove lockfiles on interupt is my guess.
>
> Yes, only happens if I use Control C (that's what I mean when said ^C ;-).

I know that! :P

> The question is _why_ must I break things by using Control C? If I don't, then
> mutt is stalled, saying "Invoking PGP...", if I do, it appears the message
> I've sent before. And as I've got gpg-rsa installed, it should be capable if
> parsing rsa keys, right?

what i meant is that i will control c it once while its getting a
bogus key, then the next time it will hang.

the problem is its a race, if you ^C after it has locked th ekeyrings
it does not cleanup and remove the locks, so the next time it tries to
grab a key it hangs waiting for a stale lock to go away.

somebody (sorry forgot who you were) said commenting out `lock-once'
in the options file helps, but i think this only makes the race
shorter. but it should make it less likely that you will ^C while it
actually has a lock.

the best solution IMO is for gpg to cleanup its lockfiles when it gets
an interupt.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/