Re: Why the GR is not necessary

Hi,

> Date:    Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:21:30 EDT
> To:      Jim Lynch <jim@laney.edu>
> From:    Andrew Sullivan <sullivana@bpl.on.ca>
> Subject: Re: Why the GR is not necessary
>
> I think your proposal is a good one, except for one bit:
>
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 11:52:23PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> >
> >  3) debian as released will -never- release a sources.list on anything
> >      debian calls an official release with the string "non-free" in it.
> >      Not ANYWHERE in that file, not as documentation, not as examples.
> [. . .]
> >
> > exactly that. If they want non-free, LET THEM LEARN HOW TO GET IT AND
>
> How are they to learn how to get it if it's not documented?  Surely one line
> in a README is not too great a compromise.

I'm -only- talking about sources.list and saying that this file should
not show how to get non-free. However, I would begrudgingly accept a
readme that showed them the line, and freely accept a document that
showed them how to go to a site that has a debian archive and -create-
the line for themselves.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key