Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:04:21 +0200 (EET)
From: Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert@gimp.org>
To: Andreas Tille <tille@physik.uni-halle.de>
Subject: Re: Help for Debian Orca Logo

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Andreas Tille wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to answer.. :/

>I'm really sure it is not your fault if the Debian people will choose
>a bad logo.  I think the GIMP contest was broken at design and I

Yes, making logos in Gimp is not that good idea (web-logos are ok, but you
need a vector-based design really. I wish I had more time, I'd grab my
Freehand on Mac and try something on that.

[... private stuff snipped ...]

>I would like to post this opinion to debian-devel.  Do you have any
>objections?

No, go ahead. Debian needs a good logo :)

>> PS. Since Bruce worked at Pixar, do you think he would know a good
>> illustrator there or somewhere else?
>May be.  I think the problem is, that the Debian people didn't define
>*what* they would like to be shown on the logo and so its possibly hard
>to tell a dseigner what to do.

True. Well you have the whale idea now,  which I think is good. But for a
logo, you will be using one for many years, and IMHO it is worth the cost
if it is done right in the first place. The logo has also a very big
public impression thing, which is very important now that Linux seems to
be on everywhere in the media :)

It also is a big help for a designer to design a website if they have the
logo already in their hands. It gives a good starting point. It would be
cool to have the whale in the top-left corner like jumping or something :)
but that it a whole new issue..

Greetings to the debian folks, you are doing a very cool distribution! I
am very happy with this.

Tuomas Kuosmanen

--
tigert@gimp.org