Re: Universal imlib?

> What'd be an interesting project at some point would be I think to fork
> imlib off imto a more universal lib.  Not an easy task probably, but the
> cool stuff usually isn't.

I would most definitely be interested in this, if only for one reason...

Imlib can't handle PNG alpha channels.  At least not multiple bit alpha.

I've been looking all over for a web browser that could handle PNGs with
alpha channels correctly, and I was hoping that Mozilla would be able to
do so... but I was wrong.  It turns out that Imlib's limitations (i.e.
converting PNG alpha channels to 1-bit transparency) limit mozilla, as
well.

I might be mistaken, but I don't think that I am, considering that when
I looked at the source code, the relevant PNG reading session seemed to
test the Alpha channel and, if it were higher than half opacity, would
set the transparency to 0, and if it were less than half opacity, would
set the transparency to 1, hence the problems rendering the image.

Although I fully plan to work on a patch for Imlib to allow this, once
I've finished reading a) the PNG specifications by the W3 and b) the
Imlib source code, so I can make sure I won't mess up anything by doing
the fix the way I'm already envisioning it, having looked at the code in
question, I'd also be interested in working on a project to produce, as
you said, a more universal library.  If you ever decide to start one or
hear of one being started, please, let me know :)

Thanks,
Stevie

--
Stevie Strickland                    |  325912 Georgia Tech Station
sstrickl@resnet.gatech.edu           |  Georgia Institute of Technology