Re: Volume on -devel

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 09:50:40AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > This guy's in my killfile anyway.  He's either a troll or a moron, either
> > way he should go back to being an anonymous coward on slashdot.
>
> And that's an appropriate comment for this forum, is it?

No.  But when someone, especially a non-developer, blows in from out of
nowhere and in a short space of time becomes the single most prolific
poster to the primary Debian development mailing list (Joseph Carter
notwithstanding), and when the comments he makes seem to me to be
non-constructive, I get upset.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a model citizen of -devel, either.
I guess maintaining X for a year has turned me into a grumpy old man at the
age of 24 :-/

> I find Navindra playing devil's advocate to the FHS useful, even if I
> can't agree with his points.

He seems to be playing devil's advocate with respect to more than the FHS.
Like this BSD CVS (can we get some more TLA's?) thing.  Hey, great, file a
wishlist bug or something.  But we just HAD a BSD flamewar.  We don't need
another one.

> And you're proud of acerbic one-liners?  ;-)

Only if they are sufficiently witty in my own estimation :)

> Personally, I think splitting the lists, along with some carefully
> designed charters, are the way forward.

I am skeptical.  I think they will just multiply the number of lists on
which we have non-germane traffic.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but I
honestly think moderation is the only real solution.

All maintainer mails should be auto-approved by a bot by checking PGP
signatures (while we're add it, we can add those brains to
control@bugs.debian.org, grumble grumble).  All other mails to -devel
should be hand-moderated, using whatever policies the moderator(s) feel is
appropriate.  I think that auto-approval, until particular individuals turn
out to be problem cases, is the best way, but IMO anyone who steps up to
the thankless task of moderation should be permitted some discretion, as
long as his/their policy is enforced in a consistent, objective manner.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   The key to being a Southern Baptist:
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   It ain't a sin if you don't get caught.