Re: splitting debian

Ted Whalen <tew@debian.org> writes:

> While I think that splitting off some of the niche software is quite
> reasonable, I think that distributing text/images/sounds/data is
> beyond the scope of the Debian project, and leads to some dilution
> of our strengths.

I don't think it dilutes us since none of it will happen unless
someone *wants* to make the effort.  It's not at all clear that that
time would be time they would have been equally motivated to apply
elsewhere.  If I was a acoustic researcher, I might join Debian to
package some important sound samples.  If Debian forbid that kind of
package, I might never become a maintainer.

> While freely redistributible and modifiable text/data is an
> admirable goal in my opinion, others might not agree.  I see a group
> dedicated to distributing free content as an associated adjunct to
> Debian, but not as a subset of Debian.

I feel that while it might eventually fork off as a separate effort,
it could just as well start internally.