Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 01:40:31PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > the basic rule is: If you want to package it and it's free, then you can.
> > no-one in debian has the right to stop you.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> A few weeks ago I announced my intent to create some empty packages,
> but I couldn't package them.

if i recall correctly, the empty packages you intended to create were
part of a package maintained by another developer, and releasing them
would have interfered with work in progress by that maintainer.  The
maintainer didn't wish to do things YOUR way so you decided to interfere
with his packaging by releasing your empty packages.

i don't recall if we have any official policy on "stealing" other
people's packages but it's certainly bad manners to try to do so.

The only valid reasons for interfering with someone else's packages is
when they've been MIA for several months, or they are not responding to
urgent bug reports, or similar. i.e. do it as a last resort only and
defer to the maintainer's wishes if they respond at all.

IMO, if we ever do something like the Incoming -> Holding -> Unstable ->
Frozen -> release cycle that has been discussed recently then another
valid reason will be for the release team to make NMUs of any packages
they need to fix for the release. i.e. for the release (only), their
needs and time-line over-ride package maintainers.

craig

--
craig sanders