Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 01:40:31PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:
> >
> > > the basic rule is: If you want to package it and it's free, then you can.
> > > no-one in debian has the right to stop you.
> >
> > Are you sure?
> >
> > A few weeks ago I announced my intent to create some empty packages,
> > but I couldn't package them.
>
> if i recall correctly, the empty packages you intended to create were
> part of a package maintained by another developer,

"were part", but they got renamed, so they were no longer part.

> and releasing them
> would have interfered with work in progress by that maintainer.

No, this is not true. The maintainer had not any "work in progress" to
solve the problem in another way which I could have "interfered", because
I finally did not release them and the problem was not solved at all.

> The
> maintainer didn't wish to do things YOUR way so you decided to interfere
> with his packaging by releasing your empty packages.

No, the maintainer (apparently) didn't wish to do things in ANY way.

> i don't recall if we have any official policy on "stealing" other
> people's packages but it's certainly bad manners to try to do so.

After I announced my intent to create the empty packages, he said that he
would fix the problem in one way or another, but he didn't.

If I had rejected his censorship, the problem would be solved by now.

> The only valid reasons for interfering with someone else's packages is
> when they've been MIA for several months, or they are not responding to
> urgent bug reports, or similar. i.e. do it as a last resort only and
> defer to the maintainer's wishes if they respond at all.

The maintainer's wishes in this case were to *not* solve a known problem.
Sorry, but I don't think this is acceptable.

Maybe this is not a case of proper censorship, but there are
many similarities.

Thanks.

--
 "73e8e2f0f85b04696f35983836a73b3b" (a truly random sig)