Re: If Debian wants to grow, let it grow. Or: King James reading Anarchy FAQ

    MB> Comments?

I find that the suggestions sound really good, but I am in disagreement
about one point:

    MB> The solution is that people can offer their own deb packages
    MB> without effort, and people can get those without effort. This way,
    MB> we can refuse to include packages without censoring them.
    [snip]

IMHO, what makes Debian stronger than other distributions, is that we
(developers) feel ourselves as being part of a community.  This is exactly
what made me abandon RedHat and come to Debian: our work is not considered
"second class stuff" here.  Indeed, our packages are officially recognized
by going through dinstall.  Frankly, if Debian is going to imitate RedHat's
contrib, I will really consider leaving the project.

The benefits of the present mode of operation is twofold: on the developers
side, we are happy and feel themselves responsible for the packages.  On
the users side, our distribution has a quality guarantee.

>From my point of view, the real issue is not accepting or not stuff in the
Debian repository.  I would love to see Debian FTP site becoming a
reference in terms of computer related material on the Internet.  This is
only a matter of how much storage space we can get (donations?) and coping
with the eventual work overload onto the FTP site maintainers.

What is really called for is a better way to sort the packages by priority,
such that we are able to build CD images with decreasing degrees of
"relevance".  I do not have a clue on how this can be done properly.  Maybe
should we do a pool among developers just prior each release?

--
Rafael Laboissiere, Debian developer