Re: If Debian wants to grow, let it grow. Or: King James reading Anarchy FAQ

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 03:24:56PM +0100, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> What is really called for is a better way to sort the packages by
> priority, such that we are able to build CD images with decreasing degrees
> of "relevance".  I do not have a clue on how this can be done properly.
> Maybe should we do a pool among developers just prior each release?

There seems to be an endless stream of people who don't know about this, so
I'll post it again :)

Look at the Debian popularity-contest results page:

	http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/popcon/

It lists packages in each section by the number of "votes" (where a vote is
a person who has used the package within the last month or so).  This could
easily be used to determine which packages are the most "important" to the
general user population of Debian.  When I wrote it, I intended that it
could be used to arrange the most popular packages on the first CD.  (I
don't think it was used, though.)

Have fun,

Avery