Re: Slink to potato upgrade

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:

>> > 1.  Break many users code when they upgrade to potato.

>> A worse solution. When I upgrade from one library to a newer one
>> with the same soname, this should not break any programs which
>> worked with the old library.

> If we definitely want to avoid some programs to break, there is a
> simple solution: Provide fixed releases of those programs in Debian
> 2.1rX, where X = 3, 4, 5 or whatever. This way a slink user who
> needs package "foo" from potato would upgrade just libc6 and "foo"
> but old package "bar" from slink would not break.

This sounds like a good alternative for me (if there are not too many
packages broken). This should be combined with a Conflicts to the
broken packages in the glibc2.1 control file. There will still be some
problems with non-free binary-only packages (StarOffice, rvplayer,
jdk,...), which cannot be fixed to work with glibc2.1. For these
packages we still may need a little glibc2.0 wrapper (located in
oldlibs), which can be installed automatically when using an Debian
installer package for these programs and which can be activated
manually for programs which are located in /usr/local or /opt...

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF