Re: IBM 390

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 10:33:17PM -0600, Jor-el wrote:

> 	I work at IBM too, and I had heard about this on the internal
> fora. Since I was bound by my confidentiality agreement about statement
> made on those fora, I didnt mention it. But now that the cat is out of the
> bag...
>
> 	The thing to remember about this (and there were very few details
> mentioned) is that IBM management did its best to squash the port into
> non-existence : Linux on S/390 hardware would be a direct competitor to
> Open-Edition MVS - which is the IBM version of UNIX on OS/390. So I
> wouldnt hold my breath waiting for a URL, or for IBM to release the code.
> I doubt if they would even sell it.

I suspected as much, but am such an optimist that I didn't mention it.

I find this interesting in light of IBMs recent foray into Open Source
software. One thing that has struck me is how IBM has been very particular
about the products they have released code for.

Jay Treacy
--
Every company complaining about Microsoft's business practices is simply a
rose bush. They look lovely and smell nice. Once a lucky company dethrones