Time to make a stand. (Was: Re: IBM 390)

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Jor-el wrote:

> Jay,
> 	I work at IBM too, and I had heard about this on the internal
> fora. Since I was bound by my confidentiality agreement about statement
> made on those fora, I didnt mention it. But now that the cat is out of the
> bag...
> 	The thing to remember about this (and there were very few details
> mentioned) is that IBM management did its best to squash the port into
> non-existence : Linux on S/390 hardware would be a direct competitor to
> Open-Edition MVS - which is the IBM version of UNIX on OS/390. So I
> wouldnt hold my breath waiting for a URL, or for IBM to release the code.
> I doubt if they would even sell it.

Hrm. I'm definitely getting the feeling IBM isn't really supportive of
Linux on RS/6000's. Especially since they're only porting to the F40's and
F50's, and a few 43P's.

All machines that can boot Linux, and have been able to for *months*.

So, now that we can safely assume IBM is really anti-Linux when it cuts
into their profits (in the case of Netfinitys and desktops, it doesn't.
They pay for Windows, and resell it. They develop and sell AIX and several
other OSes for their hardware.), it's time to ask the IBMers out here in
debian-devel for some big help. And not just the IBMers. Everyone.

Jor-el; You've got the model number. Feed us specs. Feed me architecture
and hardware documentation; the more in depth and detailed, the better.
Share it with the world through me. (I promise to only list my sources for
information as 'anonymous,' not even 'anonymous IBM employee.')

IBM wants to play like that, *fine*. They should have known better than to
play like that against me. Hell, I get *paid* now to put Linux on
RS/6000's and other obscure and strange hardware. (If you don't consider a
Unisys Aquanta DS6 obscure and/or strange, you obviously haven't seen one.
;)

Developers of the world unite! Let this be our battlecry, from this day
henceforth!

Let NO obscurity, no license, no closed-mouthed vendors hinder our
progress any further! Let no architecture remain unexplored, let no piece
of hardware remain unsupported! Let NOONE and NOTHING stand in the way of
not only knowledge, but also technology and the future!

WE are the developers of today. WE are the developers of tomorrow. Without
developers, computers would be non-existant. So let NOTHING stand in the
way of our search for knowledge, our quest for the future, and our
dedication to our projects!

...okay, so it was corny. But it's what I feel needs to be said. As usual,
I'm just going to come right out and say it folks. And this time without
being all corny and flowery and such.

I'm putting Linux on the RS/6000. So are others. More and more people are
every day. And IBM's trying to stop those of us who want to see it on
*every* RS/6000, not just a few that will soon be phased out of
production.

You, or someone you know, may soon be putting Linux on a K6/2. Or a 21164.
Or a PowerPC 604e. Or a StrongARM 200. Or any other processor out there.
Every day, more people are installing Linux.

It's our job, as developers and supporters of not just Linux, but free
software; software without silly licensing politics, to give these people
an ALTERNATIVE to what's out there!

No one man is an island; but one man *can* make a difference.

Many people, working together, can change the world if they set their
minds to it. That's the way things work.

It's time for all of us, as a community, to make things work the way *we*
want them to. It's time to put an end to single-operating system
architectures. It's time to put an end to single-operating system
software. It's time to put an end to overpricing, to idiotic leasing, to
horrid licensing. It's time to tear down the walls.

It's time to show that there are *NO* limits to what we can do when we
choose to.

I don't know about you, but I've already made my choice.

Not IBM, not Motorola, not ANYONE shall stand in my way. I've set out to
accomplish something. And I'm going to do it. WITH or *WITHOUT* the
support of IBM. WITH or *WITHOUT* the support of Motorola. (FYI, though,
Motorola is *GENUINELY* supportive of Linux. I've heard that it *will* be
running on the CPX-8xxx systems (CompatPCI chassis) soon, with luck.)

You want Linux on the S/390. Fine. I can understand and appreciate that.
IBM doesn't want to. So...

SCREW IBM. Whether or not they like it, we can make it happen. With some
work, with some help, without IBM.. we can do it.

I've had it with the half-supporters; the liars; the masquerades. "We
support Linux 110%!" Yet they refuse to assist in porting it to other
hardware. That's not supporting Linux as I see it. And I'm pretty sure
many of you see it the same way.

So let's show 'em what we can do, folks. Look out IBM, because here we
come.

And of course, as always, comments and such are welcome. Note the -PESTER
ME!- line in my sig; I can be reached at that number from 9a to
Whenever(TM) Eastern time. And if you email my work address, *PLEASE* do
*NOT* CC: to debian-devel. Unfortunately, I *have* to use Exchange at
work. (Well, till I 'fix' Exchange. POP3 is a beautiful thing.) So emails
come out all.. icky. ;P

Oh, and before everyone starts screaming at my employer... the views
expressed here are *MINE*. Not my employers. (Although, I'm pretty much
executive staff, sooooo... ;) So don't bother them. Bother me.

| Phillip R. Jaenke       | "Not all wisdom comes from without;  |
| Head of Unix Systems    |  much wisdom can only come from      |
| Unicent Telecom         |  within. Only you can teach yourself |
| prj@nls.net (RISCy@IRC) |  some of the most important  lessons |
+-------------------------+  of life." --Takes-Many-Roads,       |
Project Head              |              Silent Strider Theurge  |
-PESTER ME!- PJaenke@unicent.com / 800.319.9250 x4268 -PESTER ME!-