Debian System Wizard

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote (in reply to Josip Rodin)

> > I didn't say otherwise. Still, two packages may have Conflicts: and
> > Replaces: on the same package, and AFAIK there is no AI in dselect
> > or apt that could determine which one to automatically install, and
> > we shouldn't expect that from them.
>
> Exactly, "AI" is the perfect term for this :-)
>
> I fully agree that we should not expect dselect to have AI from the
> current and existing dpkg fields.

There is quite a lot of functionality which is too 'fuzzy' to be built
into dselect, or dpkg - which I believe should kept free of extraneous
baggage.

A separate expert system, probably a simple perl script, could be written
which would check the state of their system during its postinst.

It could check for known obsolete dummy packages, libraries which might
no longer be required and other known 'funnies' which may creep into a
system.

		John Lines