Re: Intent to package xmemos

"Darren O. Benham" wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 10:02:30AM +0300, KELEMEN Peter wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I came accross xmemos by Gilbert Therrien <gilbert@ican.net> a couple of
> > months ago and I found it useful for everyday work.  "The licence is
> > gnu", though it requires XForms (and IMHO it designates to go into
> > contrib once packaged, but feel free to correct me).

Which gnu license? The GPL & LGPL are both gnu licenses, and both the
FSF & GNU project use or have used a wide variety of licenses. This
really needs to be clarified.

> Legally, you can not distribute GPL software that's been linked to xforms.
> To include it in Debian, it has to be compiled against fltk.  If it won't
> compile, it has to go the way of KDE.

Fltk is not source compatible with xforms. It will have to be converted
- which FLTK's authors claim is easy.

Assuming the license is indeed GPL, in this case you're probably better
off explaining Debian's problems with GPL programs linked against
XForms, and seeing if he will change the license, perhaps to Artistic or
LGPL. You could also recommend changing to a free toolkit, but that's a
great deal of work he may not want to do for Debian.

--
David Starner - OSU student - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
If you want a real optimist, look up Ray Bradbury. Guy's nuts.