Re: moving of dinstall run time on master.

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Adam Heath wrote:
> > The current time that dinstall runs, 1:53pm CST(local), 7:53pm UTC, makes the
> > mirror pulse happen around 3:30pm(9:30) to 5:30(11:30).  This is during peak
> > network hours.  This is wrong, and this has to be changed.
> >
> > I want to move the time that dinstall runs, and I was thinking about making it
> > run at midnite(12:00am, 6am UTC).  This would put the mirror pulse at 1:30am
> > (7:30) - 3:30(9:30).
> >
> > This email is not a discussion about whether to move dinstall's run time.  It
> > will happen no matter what.  This email is to discuss possible alternatives.
> >
> > Did some initial discussion on irc(irc.debian.org(also irc.openprojects.net)
> > #debian).  Why can't we have dinstall run several times a day, and only have
> > the mirror pulse run once?  Can dinstall's parts be run separately like this?
>
> Did you notice that you are offending the people who are doing
> the ftpmasters job?

I am sorry if you took it that way, but that is not the way I intended.  And,
this is the FIRST reply that I have gotten.  Where are the hordes of people
who are offended by this?

The current time that dinstall is run, makes the mirror pulse happen during
peak net hours locally.  Consider, for a moment, if the host of a system was
charged based on the 95th percentile.  If there network bw usage goes over a
certain limit, they get charged more.  It doesn't matter how much actual data
is sent over the period of time.  It only matters what the peak rate is during
that time.  Having the mirror pulse happen during peak net hours, might be ok
for us, but our upstream would benefit from having it moved, and I see no
reason why it must be run during the middle of the day.

> This is the ftpmasters job.  You don't have ANY right to change their
> work (or their crontabs) as they are still around.  You should however
> contact them and discuss the issue.

I don't have a right?  They may own the work, but they don't own the
machine(s)(master, teir one mirrors), nor do they pay for the bandwidth.
There is no reason to have dinstall run during the day.

Moving dinstall's run time involves more than just the ftpmasters.  They do
NOT run debian.  They work FOR debian, and FOR the developers.  Because of
this, I decided to have broader distribution of this notice.

We are not a bunch of islands.

Adam

> Regards,
>
> 	Joey

ps: Let's not forget, how much is donated/loaned to debian.

pps: Some of this email is from me, and some of it is from novare.