Re: moving of dinstall run time on master.

On 28 Mar 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > This is the ftpmasters job.  You don't have ANY right to change their
> > > work (or their crontabs) as they are still around.  You should however
> > > contact them and discuss the issue.
> >
> > I don't have a right?  They may own the work, but they don't own the
> > machine(s)(master, teir one mirrors), nor do they pay for the bandwidth.
> > There is no reason to have dinstall run during the day.
>
> Wait a minute.  Since when does Novare dictate Debian policy?  Why are
> you, or they, forcing decisions on Debian solely by virtue of your
> status as a donor of equipment to Debian?

Policy?  How is this policy?  Moving dinstall's run time does not affect
debian positively or negatively.

And please, don't forget that debian does not pay for this bandwidth.

> Once again, Novare people are invoking their status as Debian donors
> as justification for imposing decisions on Debian.  Regardless of
> whether the move is justified (I believe it is), you are not the one
> to force this decision on Debian, and the fact that your company
> donates equipment to Debian gives it no special right to control
> Debian.  Where does the Constitution, or the SPI Bylaws, state that
> donors have control over Debian affairs?

<hypothetical>
Eh?  So, do you say that we would have no right to pull the plug on debian
donations?  Would you force us to keep hosting for debian, because it would
harm the project otherwise?  If so, then why not just force uunet, digital
island, sprint, earthlink, exodus, mindspring, mci to host debian machines,
and have each give us a 100mbps switched ethernet connect?
</hypothetical>

> > Moving dinstall's run time involves more than just the ftpmasters.  They do
> > NOT run debian.  They work FOR debian, and FOR the developers.  Because of
> > this, I decided to have broader distribution of this notice.
>
> Novare does not work for Debian or for the developers.  Why should
> they make a decision?

Because we pay for the bandwidth.  We have every right to say how that
bandwidth is used.

> > ps: Let's not forget, how much is donated/loaned to debian.
>
> I am certainly grateful to Novare for that.  But that doesn't mean
> that they can dictate Debian policy.

Again, this isn't policy.

> > pps: Some of this email is from me, and some of it is from novare.

This still holds.

Adam