Re: moving of dinstall run time on master.

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 09:41:05PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > This is the ftpmasters job.  You don't have ANY right to change their
> > > work (or their crontabs) as they are still around.  You should however
> > > contact them and discuss the issue.
> >
> > I don't have a right?  They may own the work, but they don't own the
> > machine(s)(master, teir one mirrors), nor do they pay for the bandwidth.
> > There is no reason to have dinstall run during the day.
>
> Wait a minute.  Since when does Novare dictate Debian policy?  Why are
> you, or they, forcing decisions on Debian solely by virtue of your
> status as a donor of equipment to Debian?

Last I checked the time dinstall runs was not part of policy. Moving the
time will not affect the project at all.

> Once again, Novare people are invoking their status as Debian donors
> as justification for imposing decisions on Debian.  Regardless of
> whether the move is justified (I believe it is), you are not the one
> to force this decision on Debian, and the fact that your company
> donates equipment to Debian gives it no special right to control
> Debian.  Where does the Constitution, or the SPI Bylaws, state that
> donors have control over Debian affairs?

It has nothing to do with the constituion or bylaws, its common sense. If
someone is *donating* something, and they want to change something which
will *not* affect the project and make their lives easier. Then by all
means, it should be done.

> > Moving dinstall's run time involves more than just the ftpmasters.  They do
> > NOT run debian.  They work FOR debian, and FOR the developers.  Because of
> > this, I decided to have broader distribution of this notice.
>
> Novare does not work for Debian or for the developers.  Why should
> they make a decision?

Because they donate bandwidth and hardware.

> > ps: Let's not forget, how much is donated/loaned to debian.
>
> I am certainly grateful to Novare for that.  But that doesn't mean
> that they can dictate Debian policy.

This is not part of debian policy, its a matter of convienence.

apt-get install common-sense
E: Couldn't find package common-sense

--
Stephen Crowley