Re: [Richard Braakman <dark@debian.org>] roxen-fonts-iso8859-1_0-1_i386.changes REJECTED

martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de (Martin Bialasinski) writes:

   I have no knowledge, nor better information about copyright law
   what-so-ever. I just have this answer from idonex. I don't know if
   they are right or wrong. I just hope that their statment allows us to
   include the package.

Okay, here we go, then.  I went out to find the FAQ I had read that
statement form before.  From the Web version of the comp.fonts FAQ at
<URL:http://www.nwalsh.com/comp.fonts/FAQ/cf_13.htm>:

			      Are fonts
			    copyrightable?

   This topic is hotly debated at regular intervals on
   comp.fonts. Terry Carroll. provides the following analysis of
   current [ed: as of 6/92] legislation and regulation regarding fonts
   and copyrights in the United States. Terry is ``Editor in Chief''
   of Volume 10 of the Santa Clara Computer and High Technology Law
   Journal. Members of the comp.fonts community are encouraged to
   submit other materials that add clarity to the issue.

   It has been pointed out that this section deals primarily font
   copyright issues relevant to the United States and that this
   situation is not universal. For example, in many parts of Europe
   typeface designs are protectable.

   ``First, the short answer in the USA: Typefaces are not
   copyrightable; bitmapped fonts are not copyrightable, but scalable
   fonts are copyrightable. Authorities for these conclusions follow.
[...]