Re: bootfloppies 2.2.11 report

Thanks very much for the detailed report.

> - The /dev/sr0 - /dev/scd0 confusion is still there. Actually,
>   it's gotten worse: the /dev/scd0 device that USED to exist in 2.2.9 is

I believe this has been fixed in the new makedev upload.

> - The installed system *does* have a /dev/scd0 (it's in base2_2.tgz),
>   but still no /dev/sr0 .
>   [base]

similarly fixed as in above.

> - On the "syslog" console, I noticed the following messages at this
>   point:
>
>   user.debug dbootstrap[30]: umount: Device or resource busy
>   user.info dbootstrap[30]: depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/3c575_cb.o
>   [... plenty of these, apparently covered by bug#62100 and/or bug#61544]

<sigh>  the boot floppies set you were using was probably not built
correctly. the kernel/pcmcia dependencies are rather intricate and fragile.

>  *The interesting thing about these depmod errors was that only every
>   other line was reported! (as compared to what was displayed during the
>   reboot).  This makes one wonder if perhaps the busybox syslog function
>   only logs every other line!
>   [boot-floppies, at least the syslog stuff]

rather improbable i'd think. Erik, what do you think?

> - I discovered the following problem while reproducing the previous one:
>   Choose "configure device driver modules", switch to tty3 (syslog
>   output) immediately, and then the modconf output appears on tty3,
>   overwriting all the syslog messages. Unfortunately the input is still
>   coming from tty1, which was most confusing at first. There's some
>   redirection problem here (either too much or too little).
>   [boot-floppies]

fixed in newest modconf, and reported several times already :)

> - The example name for the cdrom (while "apt-cdrom add" is running) is
>   "Debian 2.1r1 Disk 1", which is pretty wrong for potato.
>   [apt]

this is probably a build problem.... or a problem with debian-cd (not apt)

> - When choosing the tasks, I chose:
>     * Dialup ISDN (which includes diald and dialdcost, which is wrong)
>     * Gnome Apps
>     * Gnome Desktop (which doesn't include a gnome window manager?!)
>     * Gnome Net
>     * X Window System
>   Here I must this time choose <Quit>.  Note that above I needed to
>   choose <Cancel>; a constant user interface seems very difficult :-(

The UI aspect of this will be addressed in a new tasksel upload shortly.

>   Same thing with "cdrom", "CDROM", "CD-ROM", "debian" and "Debian";
>   there are more examples of this inconsistency. Also, many things are
>   capitalized unnecessarily, such as "Installing Drivers from...",
>   "Media Change" (see next item).

Realize that there are many pieces of software involved here, and we don't
have a way to change anything. If you can look through CVS and submit
patches, I'm sure we'd all be very grateful.

> - After choosing <Quit> above, it continues :-)
>   It says:
>     Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'foo' in the
>     drive as '/cdrom/' and press enter
>   I'm wondering what use the "as '/cdrom/'" is here...
>   Here the cdrom doesn't get mounted. The /dev/cdrom symlink points to
>   /dev/sr0 which (surprise) doesn't exist. I had to manually fix this.
>   The surprising thing here is that apt-cdrom didn't have any trouble
>   mounting it...
>   [boot-floppies]

what does your /dev/fstab say?

> - The following text appears:
>     Scanning packages...
>     Use of uninitialized value [...]
>   I couldn't see the rest of this (perl) warning because it got
>   overwritten by the debconf dialog screen.  Perhaps the -w flag should
>   be removed in the final release of ALL perl scripts.
>   [??]

I think Joey is looking into this...

> - The installation finished off with:
>     Do you want to erase the downloaded .deb files? [Y/n]
>     Press enter to continue.
>
>     Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (frozen) boxname tty1
>     boxname login:
>
>   Firstly, can't it check that there is nothing downloaded? I half
>   expected it to try deleting files from the cdrom.
>   [apt]

Joey?

>   Note the lack of the "Have fun!" message...
>   [boot-floppies]

I think this has been fixed as well.

> - The MOTD says to look at /usr/doc/*/copyright for copyright info,
>   shouldn't that be /usr/share/doc/*/copyright by now, so that people
>   get used to it?

not all packages have /usr/share/doc, but all have, either as a directory or
a symlink, /usr/doc/*, so i don't think this should be changed for potato.

> That's about it for now. I'll wait a day for any comments and then start
> checking the BTS and reporting bugs if not yet there.

Since this wasn't an official build, it's probably best to wait for the
official one to come out. I expect that we will build and release 2.2.11
within a couple of days.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>