Re: ITP: xzgv

On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 04:24:39PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I intend to package xzgv, which is (basically) the X11 version of zgv
> > based on Gtk and Imlib.  The main "win" over EEyes is that it supports
> > the thumbnail format of xv, zgv and the Gimp; the main win over xv is
> > that it's free software; the main win over zgv is that it runs in X;
> > and the main win over the Gimp is that it doesn't swap as much ;-)
>
> So, uh, what advantage does it have over ImageMagick?
>
> It never ceases to amaze me how many people use xv when ImageMagick is a
> perfectly fine (and free) alternative.

ImageMagick uses a hell of a lot more memory than a plain viewer such as
qiv or xzgv.  also xzgv I believe has some crude file management functions
(something I miss in qiv..)  Both being imlib-based, if xzgv can do
fullscreen display and image scaling, I'm likely to give up qiv.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

<netgod> is it me, or is Knghtbrd snoring?
<joeyh> they killed knghtbrd!
<netgod> Kysh: wichert, gecko, joeyh, and I are in a room trying to ignore
          Knghtbrd
<Kysh> netgod: Knghtbrd is hard to ignore.