Re: Consistant Keyboard Configuration (was Re: Another packages wishlist)

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 08:33:40AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 10:47:54PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
>
> > jules@pear [7] xrdb -query -all
> >
> > [nothing]
> >
> > I'm at my wit's end here... any pointers?
>
> That is your smoking gun.  For some reason all your Xresources have been
> clobbered.  There are many places this could have happened, but they're all
> conffiles or user files, so all I can do is tell you to grep for xrdb.
> Start in /etc/X11/* and $HOME.
>
> A command like:
>
> xrdb load /dev/null
>
> would certainly accomplish the result you described.

The problem in fact turned out to be that the stuff in
/etc/X11/Xsession which groks the /etc/X11/Xresources directory is
relatively new, and my /etc/X11/Xsession had been diverted by some
copy of kdebase which I installed a while ago, and had long since
purged (but it naughtily didn't clean up the diversion in the removal
scripts).  So I wasn't benefitting from the /etc/X11/Xresources/*
files.

As a note to Eterm users (of which I am also one) -- the default Eterm
theme files (the MAIN) files contain the keysym commands necessary to
make this work, but if you customised your themes  before this was the
case, you may not have the right magic.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable