Re: spamblocking the lists

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 03:28:37PM -0500, Joe Block wrote:
> Jules Bean wrote:

> So sign on with multiple addresses and set all but one nomail.  It's
> ludicrous to subject everyone to spam just to make things convenient for
> a minority of users, especially if a fix exists that only those people
> affected by the spamblock will have to implement.

[meta: this question is inappropriate for this list, but I can't
resist answering.  Maybe we need a debian lists FAQ]

There are a variety of perfectly valid reasons to post to a list you
aren't subscribed to.  From time to time, interested members of the
free software community cc: an email to debian-devel because they want
to alert us to some issue which is relevant.

I very, very rarely get spam through -devel (or any debian list) and I
don't have a problem with the current system.  If spam is too much,
then the solution, I suggest is to use the various blocking lists
(maybe we do) and just possibly, in extremis, require explicit
addressing as I suggested earlier.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable