Re: spamblocking the lists

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 10:55:01PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > So sign on with multiple addresses and set all but one nomail.  It's
> > ludicrous to subject everyone to spam just to make things convenient for
> > a minority of users, especially if a fix exists that only those people
> > affected by the spamblock will have to implement.
>
> [meta: this question is inappropriate for this list, but I can't
> resist answering.  Maybe we need a debian lists FAQ]
>
> There are a variety of perfectly valid reasons to post to a list you
> aren't subscribed to.  From time to time, interested members of the
> free software community cc: an email to debian-devel because they want
> to alert us to some issue which is relevant.

*nod vigorously*

> I very, very rarely get spam through -devel (or any debian list) and I
> don't have a problem with the current system.  If spam is too much,
> then the solution, I suggest is to use the various blocking lists
> (maybe we do) and just possibly, in extremis, require explicit
> addressing as I suggested earlier.

I guess you are not subscribed to debian-user-spanish. We get 1 or 2 daily.
The rules described above, no Bcc: and limiting the to: addresses to 10
should work with us. None of the spam we get there has the
debian-user-spanish@lists.debian.org header.
There was a flame-thread about the convenience of closing the list to
only-members, but I think that's a bad idea for the reasons you explain
above. Now, can these rules be applied? We _really_ need them at the spanish
list.

Thanks

Jordi

--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es   || Rediscovering Freedom,
ka Oskuro in RL-MUD || jordi@sindominio.net        || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E