Re: Does dpkg-divert work on conf files?

    Wichert> Okay. In theory this works fine, however its not (very
    Wichert> well) tested.  If you try this I'm very interested to
    Wichert> hear if it really works..  The problem with diverting
    Wichert> conffiles is that scripts (such as postinst) will still
    Wichert> use the old location, so you have to be careful.

I think scripts should never modify conffiles anyway...
It is in the packaging manual:

   Note that a package should not modify a dpkg-handled conffile in its
   maintainer scripts. Doing this will lead to dpkg giving the user
   confusing and possibly dangerous options for conffile update when the
   package is upgraded.

I seem to remember often getting prompts for updating conffiles I
never updated myself, so I guess at least some packages don't do this.

(or if you meant configuration files in general, that is a different
thing altogether, dpkg-divert wont work though unless it is a normal
file or a conffile).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>