Re: Pgcc in Deb

"Christopher W. Curtis" <ccurtis@aet-usa.com> writes:

> Now, the biggest complaint is obviously resource constraints.

Indeed.

> Maybe it's just not practical for every package to be compiled for a
> 386 and for an Intel Pentium and an AMD Athlon and an Intel
> Pentium-III, etc.

Not only does it cost CPU time somewhere, but it also adds about 500
MB of new binaries (see <URL:http://www.debian.org/mirror/size>).
If this is done for every i386-variant under the sun (i486, P1,
PPro, P2, P3, K6, K7) that's 3.5 Gigs more. Not something every mirror
will take likely. And there are different PowerPCs as well ...

If someone is burning to contribute code to the issue, I think a most
valuable addition would be means to more easily go directly from
source. That is, I'd like to do

        apt-get --source upgrade

and all updated packages' sources would get downloaded, built, and
installed automatically. That would give the optimization-freaks
something to whet their CPUs on.

--
Robbe