Re: USB-backport 2.3.x for 2.2.14 in potato

Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 01:08:44AM +0200 Michael Vogt wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 09:45:18PM -0500, Adam Keys wrote:
> > Next question: is the backport kernel-specific?  It's not nice to limit people
> > to specific kernels IMHO.  From what I gather, a kernel patch could be
> > packaged, and that could depend on a specific kernel source (?).  Still don't
> > like tying people to a kernel though.
> I made a kernel-patch-2.2.14-usb debian package. It is avaiable at
> http://members.xoom.com/mydebs/debian/usb.

nice. just couldn't test this because no USB hardware lying around... Has
anyone tested this? For which architectures it can be installed?

> I would like to pack precompiled modules and the usbd as well. Is someone
> else working on this? If not, what is the best way to pack a kernel-modules
> package?

for some strange reason device-3dfx-source is not compiled, so everyone
needs to make-kpackage to get device-3dfx-modules , which glide depends on.
it's the same case - a patch (actually a module) for kernel, which most
people do not need. Of course, it would be nicer to have precompiled modules
for both packages, which would be much more acceptable for users. IMHO, you
can use the same make-kpackage program (which is in devscripts package,
IIRC).

not long ago released SuSe 6.4 includes USB backport to 2.2.14 kernel, which
we are talking about. It would be worth looking at their decisions or even
ask their developers for advice.

--
                        menESIs        (Gediminas Paulauskas)