Re: Corel's distro and the GPL

Thank you all for your responses.  It appears that Corel is in compliance with
the GPL, because of the availability of the source on their web site.  I'll
still be writing them to ask them to release their non-Free software under the
GPL (like the file manager.)

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Andrew J Cosgriff wrote:

> From having a quick look at the website[1], the sources do indeed seem
> to be available from their website.  If you only downloaded the image
> for a single CD, then no, the sources probably aren't there - From
> memory, I don't think there's enough room for them on the same CD.

Yes, you're right.  They're available at: ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/linux/CorelLinux/source/

> The GPL says :
>
> "For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
> gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
> you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
> source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
> rights."
>
> Note "you must make sure that they, too, receive or *can get* the
> source code" - presumably if you're able to download the ISO image
> from their website, you're able to connect to their FTP site to get
> the source, if you want it ?

I should have read it more closely.  I guess Corel would be in compliance, then.

--
Tim Armbruster ---- www.tfarmbruster.com ---- armbrust@uswest.net