Re: kernel-package or kernel-source needs libncurses-devel

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 06:09:01PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > By this reasoning, the sole purpose of those three programs would be to help
> > with recommends and suggests, and of course do it with a nicer interface.
>
> They also provide a nice browsing interface, sorting/searching, allow
> one to make selections and then change your mind, etc. (Yes, to varying
> degrees -- I'm generalizing.)
>
> Exageration, but with a point: by your reasoning, we should get rid of
> midnight commander and enhance ls.

I didn't say that - I have nothing against the GUIs, but if a feature can
exist in the cmdline tool, why not?

Our ls has sorting methods, coloring, human-readable formatting, ignoring
per pattern, dereferencing symlinks, etc. and I don't see anyone complaining
that all that stuff is implemented in higher level tools, so it shouldn't
exist in ls.

> > Several configuration directives to manage this whole behaviour would be in
> > order, it seems.
> >
> > You can tell dpkg whether to keep, overwrite or ask on modified conffiles,
> > for example, and it's all configurable (there is no config file, but that's
> > on the TODO list :o). So if it's appropriate for dpkg to ask questions, I
> > see no reason why apt-get wouldn't do the same.
>
> I don't object ot apt-get asking questions (although it should
> minimize...), but to it asking *the same* questions that dselect et. al.
> have already (perhaps implicitly) asked and resolved. (I'll note that
> dselect doesn't ask me about replacing conffiles, either.) The GUI/CUI
> interfaces need to provide handling of Dep/Rec/Sug, so that the user can
> make choices at the appropriate time. Duplicating that in apt-get is a
> waste.

But capt and aptitude aren't frontends to apt-get. All three of them are
frontends to the APT library. It's just that apt-get has no colors and
similar, and the other two do (plus other stuff). So you can't compare it
to dselect and dpkg relation.

> If you want a CLI that deals with Dep/Rec/Sug, it would seem better to
> write a wrapper around apt-get...

How do you mean?