Re: Release-critical Bugreport for April 14, 2000

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 03:44:53PM +0000, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, David Starner wrote:
>
> > <FLAME>
> > Yes, we are releasing a badly broken gdb with potato. That's been
> > true for all of potato, and attempts to fix it by uploading a new
> > gdb-4.17 that was basically slink's gdb were strongly objected
> > to by Vincent Renardias. Seems it's the users' fault that gdb
>
> Going back to 4.17 is not an option since 4.18 fixed a lot of bugs...

Would you accept it if the gcc team released a gcc 3.0 that only supported
C and the Debian gcc developers released it into Debian removing the old
release supporting C++, Pascal, Java and the rest? That's what I feel
like you did.

In fact, the Debian gcc developers have supported two versions of gcc
for a long time because gcc 2.95 fixes a lot of bugs but
doesn't work for everything that gcc 2.7.2 did. Yet you dropped lots of
support in upgrading gdb and *chose not to let anyone* support the old
release in Debian.

Similar problems, and one solution has severely annoyed many users and
lost much functionality, and the other solution kept everyone mostly
happy.

> So far nobody has even bothered to send me an updated
> patch for ada and pthread, so I assume it's not really important.

So far, no one has even bothered to solve world hunger, so I
assume it's not really important. Something's aren't trivial to
do, no matter how important, and I have other goals in my life
than spend months learning about debuggers and gdb in order to
write a patch.

> > development has problems and the latest version of gdb doesn't
> > handle half the stuff the older version does. So, no, if you
> > run potato, you can't debug Ada, or ObjC, or PThreads (I believe).
>
> Indeed, you can't. The people to blame are the upstream gdb maintainers
> who refuse to integrate the patches.

I'm sure that fact gets my programs debugged.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with