Re: Package Graphs (was: truetype something something)

On Fri 21 Apr 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> I have arranged for apt-cache to be able to emit files that dot can read
> to describe the directed cyclic graph that is our package relations.
> Now, it is not possible to actually graph the whole distribution you can show
> little subsets of it. The results are pretty cool.
>
> http://www.debian.org/~jgg/dcg/ has some examples,
>
> debconf.png - A graph starting at debconf. Fear. debconf touches
>               both perl and some gnome stuff.
> x.png - A graph of all the X packages with a stop placed at debconf
> gcc.png - Starting at gcc/g++
> base.png - The 75 base packages without recursion out of the set. This one
>            is worth looking at, it is really nice.
> e.ps.gz - Starting at Enlightenment, showing much of gnome's base (need gv
>           at about 2x zoom to read this)
>
> Carefull, the images are rendered at 2352x992 pixels. The postscript
> versions are zoomable, if you have the ram for it. There may be some minor
> discrepencies in the output due to bugs, 3amness and 'mixed
> virtual packages'.. Nothing too horrible.

Question: is e.g. gcc.png a transparent image? imagemagick's "display"
does extremely wierd stuff with it; with fvwm I get the "ImageMagick"
title bar, but the image is displayed across the screen, i.e. not within
its own window, but across any windows that happened to be on the
screen... See http://master.debian.org/~paul/snap.png for a snapshot
(1280x1024).

Paul Slootman
--