Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

Hi,

From: Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:37:26 +0900

> Well, Debian provides us very sofisticated mechanism i.e.
> sensible-pager and sensible-editor but, unfortunately, Debian
> forgets the most basic one, that is, sensible-x-terminal.

I second this!

I know sensible-x-terminal was discussed before.  I understand
this idea was rejected because sensible-pager and sensible-editor
was introduced for the sake of backward compatibility while
sensible-x-terminal don't need such a backward compatibility.

I think this opinion expresses the reason why we don't need
sensible-x-terminal and this fails to prove we should not
introduce sensible-x-terminal.

In other words, the discussion does not say Debian should not
introduce sensible-x-terminal.  At most, the discussion says
Debian can do without it.

However, we, multibyte-language speakers, feel that introducing
sensible-x-terminal makes Debian much more convenient.  I think
Thai people also.  Maybe Hebrew and Arab.  In short, people whose
language need special terminal emulators will feel sensible-x-terminal
is convenient.  Of course this mechanism can be used for user
preference, for example, one may prefer rxvt to xterm.

Now I am developing "language-env" package, which establishes
users' personal environment related to native language by adding
lines to .bashrc, .Xresource, .xsession, and so on.  Japanese setting
of language-env has PAGER=jless line so as Japanese characters
to be correctly displayed.  If Debian has sensible-x-terminal,
language-env can also set XTERMINAL=***, kterm or krxvt for Japanese,
hanterm for Korean, xiterm-thai for Thai people.
(Thai people need special terminal because they use combining
character.  Though I think Hebrew and Arab people need their
terminal because they use right-to-left language, I don't know
any terminals which can display such languages.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/