Re: RFC: A method to use Admin tools, like linuxconf

It doesn't have to usurp the users role of init if you choose to not have
it.  You can't use all of its features then, but it is still very
usuable.  It also uses the conventional files found on a linux system for
storing the data, such as /etc/networks, sendmail.cf, the files neccesary
for DNS, and such.  All this can be done without linuxconf taking over
init's role.  Then again Linuxconf's dropins do have a few advantages
over our plain scripts (as they exist now that is, at least), such as a
bad program shouldn't hang the system.  Linuxconf's says it monitors the
hangs.  This happened to me once, when my debian system died.  The system
came up fine, fsck'd and fixed the disked as well as it could, but it
seemed xntp got corrupted, so when the daemon loaded the system just
hung.  I had to boot into single user mode to fix it, sometimes this
might not be a good option.

Shaya