Re: RFC: A method to use Admin tools, like linuxconf

Hi,

	I think we are approching this backwards.  Rather than
 identifying the drawbacks and defining requirements, people are
 jumping to implementaions and pre-existing tools (in some ways, if
 all you look at is a hammer, you try to convince yourself that all
 the problems are nails).

	This is also true of the debmake thread.

	If the problem is fine tuning the system, there may be
 alternative solutions, I don't want to either a) change our init process
 or b) accept a partial compromise.  If we need a tool badly enough,
 we should create one.

	manoj

>>"Shaya" == Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

Shaya> It doesn't have to usurp the users role of init if you choose
Shaya> to not have it.  You can't use all of its features then, but it
Shaya> is still very usuable.  It also uses the conventional files
Shaya> found on a linux system for storing the data, such as
Shaya> /etc/networks, sendmail.cf, the files neccesary for DNS, and
Shaya> such.  All this can be done without linuxconf taking over
Shaya> init's role.  Then again Linuxconf's dropins do have a few
Shaya> advantages over our plain scripts (as they exist now that is,
Shaya> at least), such as a bad program shouldn't hang the system.
Shaya> Linuxconf's says it monitors the loading of these programs and
Shaya> "should" allow you to continue if a program hangs.  This
Shaya> happened to me once, when my debian system died.  The system
Shaya> came up fine, fsck'd and fixed the disked as well as it could,
Shaya> but it seemed xntp got corrupted, so when the daemon loaded the
Shaya> system just hung.  I had to boot into single user mode to fix
Shaya> it, sometimes this might not be a good option.

Shaya> Shaya