Re: ld.so and bad symlinks from other libs

On Feb 20, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote
>  I just upgraded to ld.so.1.8.10, and when the postinst ran
> 'ldconfig', there where the following messages:
>
> 8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libslang.so.0 (No such file or directory), skipping
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libreadline.so (No such file or directory), skipping
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libhistory.so (No such file or directory), skipping
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libpthreads.so.1 (No such file or directory), skipping
> 8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8
>
> ... these were easy to fix; they are symlinks to files that are not
> there anymore.  I'm not sure, but I think that the libraries'
> maintainers may need to adjust their postinst scripts???  Well, mine's
> fixed.

These are probably leftovers from removed packages that weren't built
correctly or from installing mismatched versions of run-time and
development packages.

>  I am wondering about something now though.  Tell me if I'm wrong.
> There should be three directory entries for each shared library.
> eg:
> libreadline.so.2.1
> libreadline.so.2 -> libreadline.so.2.1
> libreadline.so -> libreadline.so.2.1  (or should this point to so.2 ?)
>
>  What is the correct configuration?

Pointing to so.2.1 is correct.  A lot of people think pointing to so.2
is better because it is "automatically" updated when a new library is
installed, but that can lead to problems when the ELF symbol
versioning that is currently in pre-alpha testing starts getting used.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road