Re: Source dependencies

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Ian Jackson wrote:

> The syntax would be
>  Source-Depends: <dependency-specs as in ordinary dependency field>
> in the .dsc file (NOT in the .deb control file).
>
> As for an ordinary dependency, Essential packages should not be
> listed.  Convention ought to be that only the compiler and not the
> libc ought to be listed, so that dependencies on libc versions are not
> hardwired unless they're really true.
>
> Opinions ?

Dunno if it's important to list the compiler when it's gcc, because 90% of
the packages need it; unless a specific version of gcc is needed of course.
However, this will probably be very usefull for "unsual compilers" (like
"sgml2txt", "f2c", ...) (doc-debian won't build without sgml2txt:
(Source-Depends: linuxdoc-sgml), and scilab won't build without f2c:
(Source-Depends: f2c))

	Since we're on the .dsc format, could we also add the field
"Source-Date:"

 This would be very usefull to track the package releases
and find which packages are orphaned. (There's no way currently no
know when a source archive has been built, and a package which has not
been released for more than 6 months is potentialy orphaned.)

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -

This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.