Re: Packaging HOWTO

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

>IMHO we need a "Debian User's Guide". This guide should include all
>existing documents (rewritten) and a few new ones. I think we should
>discuss this further (perhaps on a newly created mailing list?).
>Then your Packaging HOWTO could be a chapter of that document.

 I strongly disagree with this arrangement. If everything is in one
book it will be hard to find what one wants, it requires a prior knowledge of
the contents. Say, I want info on packaging and you tell me it is in
/usr/doc/debian/packaging thats is easy to remember next time. In fact,
I do not even have to ask, I am bound to find it myself the fist time I visit
/usr/doc/debian. Furthermore, even if know that all info  is in the guide, I
must search the containts. This is always cumbersome.

P.S. In this thread I owe replies to Igor, Jaldhar, and Manoj. I wanted
     to give adequate thought to what they said before I replied.
     Unfortunatly, this week I drowning in work and replies might be already
     late. In general, lots of good points were made against easier
     packaging procedures. Now I tend to agree with lots of their points.

Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida
Signed pgp-key on key server.