Re: About the Breaks: field.

On 10 Oct 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
>
> > 	Thank you, this is an important distinction that I
> >  missed. I'll bring this to the attention of the Deity team, and I'll
> >  add it to the Deity design document that I'm now working on.
>
> One other thing is that dpkg can't resolve conflicts by reordering.  I
> expect Deity is calling dpkg one package at a time anyway, so this
> probably doesn't matter.

Actually one of the ideas is to patch dpkg to accept a list of commands
and package files/packages to act on. That is really the only sane way we
can implement a system like Deity. Calling dpkg for every package would be
horrificly slow!

Since Manoj is going to do ordering in C++ using the package cache we will
be able to support proper sorting, conflicts, breaks, predepends and
several other features without having to hack dpkg.

It also alows more flexability in selecting packages -- I doubt we will be
using dpkg in recusive mode.

Jason