Re: pristine sources?

On 10 Oct 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> The new procedure is:
> Unpack the upstream source into <package>-<version>.
> Rename the upstream source file into <package>-<version>.orig.tar.gz.
> Add the debian directories, do a dpkg-buildpackage.

So, I can skip the step of making the <package>-<version>.orig directory
and make it appear that the first "dpkg-buildpackage" has already occured
by simply renaming the source tarball correctly?

This makes it clear why it is problematical to use "non-wellformed"
tarballs or other package formats, as dpkg-buildpackage really doesn't
"get involved" in the unpacking of the package, but can recognize when a
proper tar.gz is already present, even on a first build.

With reguard to those upstream package archives that aren't "correct"
tar.gz files, it would be nice to have a package of scripts that would
convert the more common "other formats" to a correct tarball. Then folks
could verify their copy of the the upstream source was correct and still
create a tarball that could be used to build the package. I have been
trying to think of some way that we could identify a source tarball as
containing a script and the original source in its original format that
the script can make into a correct tarball. Maybe call it
<package>-<version>.unpack.tar.gz and also provide the .orig.tar.gz source
as well? The advantage here would be that it could be implimented without
using the dpkg building tools. I don't know, maybe this is more
complicated than getting the upstream maintainer to release their package
in a "correct" format. Ideas?

Thanks for the clarification,

Dwarf