Re: pristine sources?

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> Currently, when I build a package, I first unpack the upstream source into
> <package>-<version>. Then I rename the directory to
> <package>-<version>.orig. Next, I unpack the tarball again (into
> <package>-<version>), add the debian directories with its various files
> and do a dpkg-buildpackage, which tarballs the .orig tree into
> <package>-<version>.orig.tar.gz and blows the .orig tree away.

The new procedure is:
Unpack the upstream source into <package>-<version>.
Rename the upstream source file into <package>-<version>.orig.tar.gz.
Add the debian directories, do a dpkg-buildpackage.

As a check, unpack the source with 'dpkg-source -x' in another
directory.  If it fails to unpack and the source build was succesful,
please file a bug against dpkg-source.

> As I understand the "pristine source" proceedure, dpkg-source (any special
> options?) can now directly unpack the tarball (such as
> question was, "Is this directory the one that gets the debian
> subdirectory, and recognizes the "pristine source" as what used to be the
> <package>-<version>.orig.tar.gz?"

The pristine source must still be named
<package>-<version>.orig.tar.gz, but it may unpack into a directory of
any name.  The file's md5sum will still be the same.

> Also, do I have to do anything special
> during source unpacking or package build to get dpkg to recognize the
> setup properly?

No.

Guy