Compiling sources for alpha

hi, i currently own a low end alpha system on which i
run redhat 4.2...

i must say that i am VERY disappointed with redhat in
general and especially on the alpha, so my goal for the
next few weeks (or even months :( will be to build a
system that i enjoy using up from sources

i have had a great deal of trouble however finding
source trees that will compile cleanly on this system.

if you could point me in the right direction i would be
greatful

btw a few items i have tried to compile but which did
not work out include bash, util-linux and sysvinit
not like they are really needed or anything ;)

thanks
nick