Re: Compiling sources for alpha

On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, nm wrote:

> i must say that i am VERY disappointed with redhat in
> general and especially on the alpha, so my goal for the
> next few weeks (or even months :( will be to build a
> system that i enjoy using up from sources

Yes, I saw your postings on the AXP list and was wondering how that was
going....

> i have had a great deal of trouble however finding
> source trees that will compile cleanly on this system.
> if you could point me in the right direction i would be
> greatful

Well, you may first want to subscribe to the debian-alpha list.  Alot of
us over there have already compiled alot of the packages that you wish to
and have patches that you'll need to make things "happy".

> btw a few items i have tried to compile but which did
> not work out include bash, util-linux and sysvinit
> not like they are really needed or anything ;)

Hehehe...Well, I know that I've personally compiled util-linux and
sysvinit from scratch, so they DO compile on the Alpha (I have a UDB
running bleeding-edge hamm right now).  I couldn't speak for bash,
however.  I did have to do quite a bit of patching for glibc-2.0.[4,5c] in
util-linux, fyi, but have those patches archived if you need them.

Tell you what, if you can, let's move this discussion to the debian-alpha
list or you can e-mail me privately and I'll help you get what you need.
I'll also need some details from you as to which versions of things your
running, etc.

Chris
 Christopher C. Chimelis          chris@classnet.med.miami.edu
 Systems Supervisor