Re: prepackaged Debian GNU/Linux

Paul J Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu> writes:

> i have almost convinced the person in charge of stocking the computer
> software at the Student Union Bookstore here at Oklahoma State
> University to start stocking some boxed Linux sets.  This would most
> easily come as the SAMS Redhat Package or the official RedHat boxed
> package.  I think it would be awesome to see it sold there.  however,
> i would also like to see debian being sold there.  (since afterall, it
> is the best disribution :-)

> anyways, the point of this email is to ask if anyone knows of a
> company actually boxing and selling Debian?  if not, why not?

Are there still issues with dselect? Or do the problems (installing
in the wrong order) only happen with ftp installs?

I, for one, would like to see us add PCMCIA installs. Currently, a
PCMCIA install is a bit painful.  Red Hat has us beat here.

They also have a completely automated install in their latest beta.
You put in a floppy, tell it to use "kickstart" (sounds familiar,
doesn't it?) and it will BOOTP, get a configuration file (which
contains instructions on which packages to install, how to partition
the HD, timezones, etc.), partition the drive and install linux,
completely hands-off.

> i think something debian needs is an actual company behind them.  i am
> not saying we forget the non-profit status.  but maybe a seperate but
> still connected company which produces a manual and packages and sells
> debian.  like redhat, this would do alot to further the usage of our
> distibution.

Nah, what we _need_ are t-shirts and/or denim hats...

> one more thing.  i will probably be purchasing ApplixWare soon (an
> office suite produced by RedHat.  it is something i need as a student
> and hear that ApplixWare is good.  Anyways, (not that i think we would
> suceed in this) but it would be neat to convince RedHat to package it
> so that Debian users could by it in actual .deb fromat and not have to
> install it with RPM.  i am going to call and ask them about this
> tomorrow.  if there is anyone else who is interested in this, give
> them a call also.

Alien works just fine, doesn't it?

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu