Re: prepackaged Debian GNU/Linux (with PCMCIA)

Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:

> I, for one, would like to see us add PCMCIA installs. Currently, a
> PCMCIA install is a bit painful.  Red Hat has us beat here.

I agree.  I regularly get complaints about how difficult it is to
install Debian via a PCMCIA network connection or PCMCIA connected
CD-ROM.

The boot-floppies package for creating the boot floppies has some
PCMCIA support (most of which has been commented out), some of which
is still good.  For example, the dinstall script still correctly
configures a PCMCIA Ethernet card.

I advocate that an extra PCMCIA disk should be created that contains
the pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules-KV packages (152 kilobytes) and that
the dinstall script should be modified to automatically install these
packages from this extra disk if the user specifies that she needs
PCMCIA support.

One extra precaution must be taken.  The PCMCIA modules must be
compiled for the *exact* kernel on the boot disks -- matching both the
upstream and the Debian version numbers.  Therefore, if an automated
script is used to create the PCMCIA disk when the boot disks are
created, it should check the Description field of the
pcmcia-modules-KV package where the kernel version is listed.  For
example:

  This package contains the set of loadable kernel modules for the
  PCMCIA Card Services applications program interface.  They have been
  compiled for kernel version 2.0.29.  More specifically, they
  have been compiled to accompany the Debian kernel-image-2.0.29
  version 2.0.29-8.
  .
  The utilities in the pcmcia-cs package are required to use these
  modules.

This should accompany a boot floppy on which has been installed the
kernel from kernel-image-2.0.29 package version 2.0.29-8.

Brian