Re: Hamm CDs (was Re: ZGV 2.7)

On Tue, Oct 21, 1997 at 08:36:27PM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Oct 14, Andy Mortimer decided to present us with:
> >
> > unfortunately, I'm not having much luck compiling it for libc6 because I can't
> > get my CD-ROM drive to work, and therefore can't upgrade my system to libc6.
>
> Fascinating. I thought it was policy to ask people not to press
> hamm CDs. Can you tell me how can I get one? And can someone
> explain the reason for this policy? I believe that, as far as
> the CD makes it VERY clear that the product is unstable, there's
> no problem with this, and it would make life a lot easier for
> maintainers (specially new ones).

Hello!

I think you misunderstood. It is only discouraged to press hamm cd's with
version numbers - means that infomagic pressed a developer version (somewhat
with 1.x), before it was ready.

So, version numbers vanished and got replaced by code names ('hamm'), so
confusion is prevented in the first place.

This is all of the story.

Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."